IBM Labs has released its 5th annual “Next Five in Five” – a list of innovations with the potential to change the way people work, live and play over the next 5 years. The Next Five in Five is based on market and societal trends expected to transform our lives, as well as emerging technologies from IBM Labs around the world that can make these innovations possible.
Their predictions include:
- Holograms will be a part of our lives. You will be able to beam 3D images to people and talk with them. 3D cameras will be small enough to use with a mobile device. Hosting an online meeting will be very different.
- The emergence of “citizen scientists” who collect data from sensors in our cars or any physical device that will be added to massive data sets.
- Batteries that are powered by static energy or even the air we breathe.
- The heat from data centers may help power cities.
- Your commute will be personalized. Adaptive traffic systems will intuitively learn behavior.
Here is a 3 1/2 minute video talking about each of the five.