Listen to this article
How productive and effective is your organization?
Keeping up with all the changes in automation and technology to keep your agency alive and well continues to be a time-consuming and difficult job. There are constant, new changes that affect how you run your agency. These changes are not going to slow down… if anything, they’re going to speed up, especially over the next few years. The pace of change is going to go faster, not slower.
How are you supposed to keep up with technology changes, and sell insurance and run your agency? It’s challenging! The challenges you face are many. Here are just a few:
- Are you spending too much on technology or not enough?
- Do you need to purchase a new agency management system? If so, which one is the best?
- How well are you managing the use of email in your agency? Email is a significant productivity drain in any agency.
- What should your agency website look like today?
- Are you going to provide customers access to their information through your website? What are the benefits and costs?
- What about electronic document management? How are you handling document retention?
- How are you managing text messages? Are you in compliance with FCC guidelines?
These are the questions you must answer to remain competitive in the coming years. Finding the right information to be able to answer these questions takes time. And, time is running out. Are your clients moving faster than you are? Are you providing them with the proper insurance advice?
Take the Agency Productivity Assessment™
I created the Agency Productivity Assessment to provide you with an unbiased view of where your agency stands now in its use of technology along with an analysis of how you need to plan for the future.
The Agency Productivity Assessment is not a quick fun assessment. There are 99 total questions in 6 different areas of agency operations. It will take some time for you to complete. If you spend the time, it will help you understand better where your agency stands today, so you know how to plan for the future.
Here is how to get the most out of the assessment:
- Download the PDF with all of the questions.
- Gather the information to answer the questions.
- Go online and complete the assessment.
- Once completed, you will receive a customized PDF report via email (if you provide an email address).
Beyond Best Practices Training
One of the most important skills you can develop to advance your career is to have the mindset of a lifelong learner.
This is truer today than it was 20 years ago due to the continued rapid advance of technology. Technology not only affects our productivity and organizational, operational effectiveness, but it also changes the tools you use to serve your customers better. That means everyone in the industry needs to continue to learn to be able to keep up and effectively advise clients.
One way to keep up with coverage enhancements and changes is to take continuing education classes. Unfortunately, an increasing number of states are limiting their approval of technology-related topics for continuing education credit. It almost seems like if there’s not a policy form included in the presentation, the program will not receive approval for continuing education credit. I think this is a shame. There is much more to a successful insurance agent than just understanding policy contracts and coverages. However, that’s a soapbox for another day.
Let me be clear here; various organizations provide a wide variety of outstanding continuing education classes with engaging speakers that will help you improve your insurance technical knowledge. I hope you fully engage with these classes for reasons other than your state requires you to get a certain number of hours every couple of years.
Other topics seldom approved for continuing education credit include marketing and sales skills training, internal operations improvements, agency management system maximization, effective electronic document management, and information on emerging technologies such as the sharing economy, drones, autonomous vehicles, 3D printing, machine learning, and a whole host of other topics that help you help your clients.
That’s why I have created a new monthly webinar series called Beyond Best Practices Training.
Each month I will present a 60-90 minute webinar on a topic related to one of the following functional areas that help improve operational excellence. These are:
- Technology Management: This section addresses the overall management attitude toward technology and the effect technology has on the whole management process in the agency.
- Technology Administration: This section address how you are currently using your technology resources and if you are getting the most out of what you already have in place.
- Technology Infrastructure: We don’t pretend to be a network and infrastructure expert. This section takes a simple look to make sure you have the basics in place.
- Marketing and Sales Technology: Bringing in new business and developing your current book is vital for agency growth and health. This section explores how your organization uses technology to grow.
- Customer Experience Technology: Creating a great customer experience is vital to retain clients.
- Organizational Communication: It’s important to be able to communicate well. How well are you maximizing the flow of information between internal staff and your prospect, client, carrier, and vendors systems?
You have two options to participate:
1. Annual Subscription
Each monthly training is delivered in a video format and will include a downloadable checklist of action steps. My goal is to make these training webinars actionable. We walk you through technology changes, a specific agency challenge or opportunity and provide you with an actionable method of accomplishing your goal.
- You should expect to spend about 60 to 90 minutes to consume the materials.
- For annual subscribers, the webinar is delivered live and provides an opportunity for Q&A. All webinars are recorded and available for later viewing.
- Annual subscribers receive a full transcript of the webinar a few days after it is presented.
- Annual subscribers will be able to cast a vote for future topics. Topics with the most votes will be given priority.
An annual subscription is $240 per individual agency location and includes access to all previously recorded webinars for as long as you remain a subscriber. That is only $20 per month per location.
2. Individual Webinar Purchase
Recordings of past individual webinar topics will be available for $35 per individual agency location a few days after the live presentation.
- With this option, there is no opportunity for Q&A.
- There is also no transcript available.
I want to be very clear: I will not be applying for CE credit from any state for these programs, so don’t ask. I am not willing to compromise the information provided merely to gain CE approval.
If you have been to any of my live presentations, you know I provide actionable information you can take back to your office and use immediately.
If you are not sure the BBP Training is worth the cost, then I invite you to give the Beyond Best Practices Training a try. If you don’t like the webinars, I guarantee a pro-rated refund of your unused subscription. Just let me know.
I hope you will join me in the Beyond Best Practices Training. I look forward to helping gain a better understanding of the intersection of technology and insurance that will improve your agency productivity and profits.